Soul: Standards

"Can two people walk together without agreeing on the direction?" - Amos 3:3

I have been beside myself this past week trying to find something of meaning to write about without sounding redundant. The big battle in my life, at this point in time, is still this battle with being content and patient. I am fighting thoughts of loneliness, hopelessness, and a constant awareness of my single status. But because I wrote on this in a previous post, I did not want to write about it again. 

The other night I was telling my father about my invisible war. The war in which I question every minute aspect of my character in order to try and see the flaws that men see. Asking myself questions such as "Is there something wrong with me? Is my personality unloveable? Am I un-datable?"

I was posing these questions to my father when I had a breakthrough thought. I am not un-dateable, because guys have liked me. They have wanted to date me, but I didn't want to date them. Why, you may ask, would I have not wanted to date them? The answer is simple really: Standards. 

Now I do not mean that in a mean, or condescending way, just that there are specific qualities that I am looking for in a man, and these men were lacking one or more of those qualities.  Now I am not one of those women who has a list of fifty characteristics her "dream" man would have. I just have three make-it-or-break-it qualities. 

1. He must love God. I could have simply said that he must be Christian, but let's be real, anyone can talk the talk, but I want a man who walks the walks.  A man that has a passion for God, a love for God that shows in every aspect of his life. One who seeks after God's will in his life. I want a marriage that is God-Centered, and honors him. I want a man that uplifts me, holds me accountable, and helps me grow in Christ. 

2. He must love family. I want a man who loves his family and wants a family of his own. One who will devote his life to his children and wife, and who will make it a point to raise Godly children.

And finally. . . 

3. He must be Real. I want a man who is not afraid to hurt; to feel. I want a man who is not afraid to admit he has made mistakes. A man who uses his past to make him a stronger, wiser, all-around better person. One who is not afraid of life's struggles. One who perseveres. 


I am not willing to compromise my standards, because I want companionship, or feel lonely. I will not settle, and if it takes me thirty years to find that man, then so be it. But I know that God's timing is perfect, and that (I know, I know, I've said it before but,) He has the one for me. Until then I refuse to settle because as Amos 3:3 states, you cannot be with someone who does not want to go the same direction! And my direction is very clear and unwavering. 

So go ahead, set standards!



Just Food for Thought!

Comments

  1. I love it Heather!
    This is very encouraging and just what I needed :)
    Thanks for sharing this with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome. Check back periodically, you never know what you might find!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment