Mind and Soul: This Year's Resolution

I am a firm believer in NOT declaring a New Year's resolution. I know, you're thinking, WHAT? But it's a sure fire way to set yourself up for failure. Think about how many people you know who have actually completed their New Year's Resolution. It's very few if any.

Studies show that the third week of January is the most depressed year in America, with January 15th being the most depressed day. Now what does that mean? It means that many Americans, by the third week of January, are feeling depressed, and the number one reason why they are depressed is because they have broken their resolutions.That is why I don't make New Year's resolution's, I make "This Year's" Resolutions. Think about the name. It implies a short term goal. The year is only "New" for a short period of time and I think that mentally by calling it a "New Year's" resolution your goal then becomes temporary. So I like to think of it as more of a goal that I am trying to reach throughout the year, thus I like to call it "This Year's" Resolution.

I am also a firm believer in writing out not only your resolutions, but how you intend to achieve your goal. It is sort of like deciding to take a trip and then mapping out the route you need to take. If you decide to go to New York and you hop in your car, and just start driving, the possibility of actually making it to New York is slim. Have a game plan, know what you need to do and how to go about doing it, so that way you arrive at your destination in a timely more efficient manner. When you have a plan you are more likely to reach your goal!


So here are my This Year's Resolutions. 

  1. To be healthy
    • My goal is not necessarily to loose weight, which I am striving to do, but to be overall healthier. I plan to achieve this goal by:
      • Eating healthier meals
      • Exercising more regularly
      • Getting 8-10 hours of sleep 
      • Taking a vitamin
      • Watching my weight
  2. To grow closer to God
    • My goal is always strive to be Christ-Like and to show Christ's love in everything that I do. I plan on achieving this goal by:
      • Regular fellowship with other Christians
      • Regular attendance in church
      • Getting connected in my church
      • Volunteering in Mission Projects
      • Daily time spent in God's word and in Prayer

Comments

Popular Posts